Monday, March 23, 2009

update on Brent

Here's another mass email about Brent's current trip to India...

Last night around 11:00 I got an unexpected phone call that Brent and Richard Shipp were very ill. Throwing up, dry heaves, diarrhea... all the typical signs of food that didn't settle in a stomach very well... =[ This had gone on all night long. That day they were at a home for widows, and they ate there. Richard and Brent ate out of one pot, and Michael ate out of another. They're pretty sure that's why Michael didn't get sick. Because everywhere else, they've been eating the same thing. They said a doctor was going to be coming out.

I immediately called family members that I knew would probably still be up. Dad Y. - just gotta tell you, there are times that being a night owl does come in handy, right? (Sharon & Ruth, your total compassion just did me in... sorry about all that emotion.)

Anyway - I'll back up a bit - all of Sunday afternoon and evening I had been feeling unsettled again. I couldn't stop thinking about Brent and praying for him all day... I was wondering what was going on. As soon as I got this phone call, I realized that's why God was telling me to pray. (India is 9 1/2 hours ahead of us, so while Brent was throwing up at night, it was our afternoon and evening.)

The doctor ended up coming twice, and giving them shots and stuff. I talked to Brent at noon today, for just a couple of minutes. I was able to pray with him. It was so good to hear his voice - he said he was feeling better, but still was weak and had diarrhea. They were going to head to bed. We've been praying that they all got a good night of rest.

Michael spoke at the Pastor's Conference today (Monday) while Brent and Richard rested. In the evening, Richard and Michael went to a well dedication at a village and 70 people gave their lives to Christ! It sounds like Richard was still weak, but he was able to go, so that's a blessing.

There were several things that happened when I got that call. First of all, I was angry at the enemy. I said this was a "no deal"! I remembered how God had come through so mightily for Brent to be able to go, and I knew that there was no way that God's plan was for Brent to lay on a bed the whole time he was there. No Way. The next thing was that I realized I was not fearful! I normally have fearful tendencies, but I had none. I was very, very concerned, of course, but I was not afraid! Thanks to all of you who have been praying for me. The third thing was that God brought to my mind a message I heard recently on II Chronicles 20, about worshipping God in the middle of a battle. So I went to www.pandora.com, chose some worship music and prayed The Word and sang. About an hour later, I felt peace come over me and I went to bed. I slept well. I woke up once at 3:00am, prayed, and went back to sleep. My sister told me today that she woke up too at that exact time. God is so good!

By the way, for those of you who happened to be woke up by God during the middle of the night Sunday night - - that was me! =] I was praying (with no shame) for God to wake up all the people who said they will pray for Brent.

I had an interesting conversation today at work. This guy came in that knows Brent and I. I told him about Brent and asked him to be praying for Brent. You know what he told me? He went on this long spiel about this guy he knows that went on a missions trip and got so sick with a stomach thing and he couldn't get rid of it even after he was home. He was finally so tired of being so sick and so he told God that if this is how he's gonna have to live, just please take him now. He said the guy was dead within 5 minutes.

good. grief.

I'm going - - I just asked you to pray for my husband, and you're telling me about a guy dying??? I was thinking - are you even listening to yourself? I was totally regretting telling him, because I did not need to hear that. So after he left, I did what my mom taught me. I said that I do NOT receive that word of death that was spoken over me!

I'm sure his heart was in the right place.... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt... =]

So, to all of you who have been praying, I say "thank you", and please don't stop!

We are a vital part of this India trip, with our prayers,

Also - keep praying for our kiddos. I told Jaci before she went to school that Brent was sick. In retrospect, I don't think I should've? At lunch I was talking to her about it, after we knew Brent was better. She started blinking back the tears and said, "Mommy, it was so hard to listen to what Mrs. Miller was talking about today. I couldn't get my mind off Daddy". Poor thing - I shouldn't have put that worry on her tiny shoulders... I doesn't feel like a shining mommy moment for me. =[

I just checked the world clock. It's 10:15pm Monday night here, and it's 7:45am, Tuesday where my honey is. I'll get to talk to him in about 14 hours...

love to all,
esther

No comments:

Post a Comment